*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the most popular four-wheel drive vehicles on the market. It’s won multiple awards and is known for combining a rugged exterior with a luxurious interior.
There’s just one drawback. The price. But why is this car so expensive?
The Toyota Land Cruiser is expensive because it is a well-built car, designed to last for a long time. It will be able to handle whatever terrain you throw at it. Plus, it has been marketed as a luxury vehicle.
These elements combine to help boost the price.
There are many elements to consider when buying a new car. The cost is an important factor.
Keep reading to learn why the Land Cruiser comes at such a high price point.
How Much Does A Toyota Land Cruiser Cost?
Let’s start by talking about how much you can expect to pay for a Toyota Landcruiser. They will start at $85,165.
This is the sticker price, so you might be able to negotiate a slightly better deal with the dealership depending on how many are on the lot at a given time.
To put this into perspective, there are many other more affordable four-wheel-drive Toyotas for you to choose from. For example, the Toyota Sequoia. This vehicle has a sticker price of $50,100, which is on par with other SUVs on the market.
If you are looking for an even cheaper option, you can try the 4Runner. This is also built for off-roading and starts at $36,340 for the base model.
Causes Of The Land Cruiser’s Higher Price
It’s estimated that the average cost of a new car in the United States is $40,000. This makes the Toyota Land Cruiser more than twice the market price, significantly more than even other 4WD cars.
There are a few reasons why the Land Cruiser might be so expensive.
One of the biggest reasons behind the price is how reliable these cars are. People who choose to buy a Land Cruiser can be fairly confident that it will last for a long time.
Usually, a vehicle that is approaching 100,000 miles is an old car. But a Land Cruiser can easily last for 400,000 miles.
It’s also built to drive over rough terrain. It won’t have any problem going off-road. Plus, it’s been built to offer a luxurious driving experience.
There are comfortable seats and great suspension, so you won’t hardly feel the bumps. To many people, this type of performance is worth paying the extra for.
The first Toyota Land Cruiser came onto the market in the 1950s. It quickly became known for its reliable performance and ability to handle rugged terrain with ease.
Since then, it has been through a range of iterations, as the company tried to improve the durability and comfort of the car. This history ensures that the Land Cruiser has earned its place in popular culture.
If you are thinking of spending the money to buy a new Toyota, you want to make sure that it’s a good investment. Thankfully, most of these vehicles will keep their value, allowing you to get a good price on the second-hand market.
There are a few reasons for this:
- They will last for a long time. The Land Cruiser is frequently referred to as indestructible. If well-maintained, they will be able to last for decades.
- Limited supply. There aren’t many new Land Cruisers being sold in the United States. By 2022, they will be discontinued. The limited supply, and consistent demand, are going to help boost the price.
- Brand recognition. In the second-hand market, people will be swayed by names that they recognize. The Land Cruiser has a long history and a strong reputation, so people know that they are buying quality cars.
The Land Cruiser is significantly more expensive than the average car. But this could be because they aren’t trying to target the same market as the other cars.
They are opting to target the luxury vehicle market. As a result, Toyota can charge a higher price. This offers a sense of exclusivity.
Other Price Considerations
The cost of purchasing the Land Cruiser isn’t the only thing that you need to think about. Here are some of the other price elements that you need to consider:
- Repairs. The Land Cruiser will be a little more expensive to repair than other vehicles. It will cost you around $843 to maintain each year on average.
- Fuel. The Land Cruiser will get you around 17 mpg on the highway. Considering the size and power of the vehicle, this is fairly good.
Is The Land Cruiser Worth the Price?
Whether or not the Land Cruiser is worth the price will depend on what you are looking for. If you want a vehicle that will last for a long time, this is a great choice. With regular maintenance, the Land Cruiser will last for decades.
It’s also ideal for going off-road and is able to handle whatever terrain you throw at it.
On the other hand, there are many similar cars out there, with strong off-road capabilities.
For example, the Toyota Sequoia. It’s significantly less expensive, but will also deliver a strong performance. If you are solely focused on the costs, it might be a better idea to look at one of these vehicles.
How Popular Is The Land Cruiser?
Though the Land Cruiser might be popular amongst motoring enthusiasts, the popularity hasn’t translated into the general public. The price might be partly to blame for the poor sales figures.
Most years Toyota would struggle to sell more than 4,000 units. As a result, the United States won’t be getting the 2022 model of the Land Cruiser.
Buying A Second-Hand Land Cruiser
If you want to save some money, you might want to try getting a second-hand vehicle. These will often be cheaper than buying new ones.
The good news is that even a used Land Cruiser will be able to deliver strong performance and will be a very reliable vehicle. If you are thinking of taking this route, here are a few things you should look for:
- Inspect the engine. Bring along a mechanic and get them to check over the car, making sure that everything is in good condition.
- Get a good price. Look at similar cars in your area, to get a better idea of how much you should be paying. Sometimes, you can negotiate a little to get a better deal.
- Take it for a test drive. Before you buy, take the car for a test drive. This will let you experience first-hand how it handles, allowing you to make sure that there are no mechanical problems.
The Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the most reliable vehicles on the market, built to tackle harsh off-road conditions. This ensures that it will last for a long time.
If you take care of it, it will easily last for 30 years.
But this quality comes at a price. It is one of the most expensive four-wheel drives on the market. Whether this is worth it will depend on what you are looking for.