*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah, the age-old debate between the Toyota RAV4 and the Subaru Forester! I’m so excited to dive into this head-to-head comparison, especially when it comes to safety ratings and advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS).
After all, who doesn’t want a vehicle that’ll keep them safe and sound on the open road? So buckle up, folks – we’re in for a wild ride!
Toyota RAV4 Safety Features
Standard Safety Features (TSS 2.0)
The 2023 RAV4 comes equipped with a smorgasbord of standard safety features as part of its Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 (TSS 2.0). It’s like a protective bubble surrounding you as you drive. Here’s what you get:
- Forward collision warning: It’s like having a guardian angel whispering in your ear, telling you to watch out for that car in front of you!
- Automatic emergency braking: A real lifesaver when your foot can’t reach the brake pedal fast enough.
- Pedestrian detection capability: Keeps you and pedestrians from having an unwanted rendezvous.
- Lane departure warning: The helpful nudge you need to stay on the straight and narrow.
- Lane keeping assist: A gentle helping hand to guide you back into your lane.
- Automatic high-beam headlights: Like the friend who reminds you to be polite and not blind oncoming drivers.
- Traffic sign detection system: Never miss a speed limit sign again – it’s like having a personal traffic sign reader!
- Adaptive cruise control: A game-changer for long road trips, keeping you a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
Optional ADAS Features
But wait, there’s more! The RAV4 also offers some nifty optional ADAS features that aren’t part of the standard TSS 2.0 package:
- Blind-spot monitoring: It’s like having eyes in the back of your head!
- Rear cross-traffic alert: No more craning your neck to check for cars when reversing out of a parking spot.
- Front and rear parking assist (exclusive to top trims, such as TRD): Parking has never been this easy – or this precise!
Subaru Forester Safety Features
The Forester has a good rating in most safety measurements but let’s take a closer look at the features and car rankings for this model.
Standard Car Safety Features (EyeSight)
Not to be outdone, the 2023 Forester compact SUV also boasts a stellar lineup of standard safety features (no matter which trim levels you look at) as part of its EyeSight driver-assistance system. Here’s what you get in this safety package:
- Forward collision warning: Just like in the RAV4, it’s your personal warning system for potential front-end collisions.
- Automatic emergency braking: A trusty companion in those sudden stop situations.
- Lane departure warning: Keeps you from straying into another lane, even when you’re tempted.
- Adaptive cruise control: Set it and forget it – no more constant pedal adjustments on the highway.
- High-beam assist (automatically adjusts headlights based on oncoming traffic): Say goodbye to those passive-aggressive high-beam battles with other drivers!
Optional ADAS Features
The Forester doesn’t skimp on the optional ADAS features either (which helped boost the car ratings). Feast your eyes on these handy additions:
- Blind-spot detection (optional on Premium, standard on higher trims): No more heart-stopping lane change surprises!
- Lane change assist (optional on Premium, standard on higher trims): Makes lane changes smoother than a hot knife through butter.
- Rear cross-traffic alert (optional on Premium, standard on higher trims): Be the king or queen of parking lots with this useful feature.
- Reverse automatic braking (optional on Sport and Limited, standard on Wilderness and Touring): Accidentally backing up into an obstacle? Not on your watch!
- DriverFocus distraction mitigation system (standard only on Touring): Keeps you in check when your mind starts to wander – like a gentle, but firm, reminder to stay focused on the road.
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Ratings
Now lets compare cars in regards to their IIHS safety ratings. Both of these car models get excellent ratings but it is important to know exactly what you are getting before you choose a model to take home with you.
Since both models are extremely safe for the consumer that also means that you can expect to get cheaper car insurance rates than vehicles that aren’t as safe.
2023 Toyota RAV4 IIHS Ratings
The RAV4 strutted its stuff at the IIHS and came away with some pretty darn good average ratings:
|Small overlap front: driver-side||Good (G)|
|Small overlap front: passenger-side||Good (G)|
|Moderate overlap front: original test||Good (G)|
|Moderate overlap front: updated test||Acceptable (A)|
|Side: original test||Good (G)|
|Side: updated test||Acceptable (A)|
|Roof strength||Good (G)|
2023 Subaru Forester IIHS Ratings
The Forester also had its moment in the IIHS spotlight, with some solid results:
|IIHS Evaluation Category||Rating|
|Driver-side small overlap front||Good|
|Passenger-side small overlap front||Good|
|Moderate overlap front||Good|
|Side: updated test||Acceptable|
|Head restraint tests||Good|
|Front crash prevention (vehicle-to-vehicle)||Superior|
|Front crash prevention (vehicle-to-pedestrian)||Superior|
|Headlight system (all trims)||Good|
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Car Ratings
2023 Subaru Forester NHTSA Ratings
And let’s not forget to review the Forester’s stellar performance at the NHTSA:
|NHTSA Overall Rating||5 stars|
2023 Toyota Rav4 NHTSA Ratings
The 2023 Rav4 NHTSA Overall Rating is as follows:
|Model Year||Vehicle Model||NHTSA Overall Safety Rating|
Additional Subaru Forester Safety Features by Trim Level
The Sport model raises the bar with these snazzy extra safety features:
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-change assist
The Touring model takes it up another notch with:
- Driver condition monitor
Finally, the Wilderness model goes above and beyond, with:
- 180-degree front-view monitor
- Reverse automatic braking (also available on Touring model)
Is the Rav4 or Forester Safer? (Let’s Compare)
Ah, the age-old conundrum: RAV4 or Forester? Well, buckle up, folks! We’re about to embark on a rip-roaring, pedal-to-the-metal journey that’ll answer the burning question: which of these vehicular juggernauts is the safest?
But here’s the thing, it is difficult to compare cars like this when both of the cars are such safe vehicles. So before we even get started I want to share the news that you really can’t go wrong with choosing either of these vehicle options.
The Safety Feature Showdown
Let’s get the ball rolling with a side-by-side comparison of the safety features in these automotive titans. Behold, the ultimate showdown in a nifty table:
|Safety Feature||Toyota RAV4||Subaru Forester|
|Side Impact Airbags||✅||✅|
Well, color me surprised! At first glance, it seems like a neck-and-neck race between these two safety-conscious stallions.
But wait, there’s a twist in the tale! The Forester just edges ahead, with its unique anti-whiplash feature leaving the RAV4 eating dust.
A Matter of Airbags: A Cushiony Contention
Now, you might be thinking, “Surely, airbags are airbags, right?” Well, my friend, you’d be dead wrong. Let’s dive into the nitty-gritty:
- Front-impact airbags: Both the RAV4 and Forester have these noggin-protecting beauties. No clear winner here, folks!
- Side impact airbags: Again, it’s a tie. Both vehicles prioritize your torso’s well-being in a side impact collision.
- Overhead airbags: The RAV4 and Forester are neck-and-neck in the overhead airbag department, too. These head-hugging cushions are ready to leap into action during a side collision or rollover.
- Knee airbags: Both contenders are knee-deep in safety, with knee airbags that shield your lower extremities from harm during an accident.
Seatbelt Pretensioners: A Safety Hug You Didn’t Know You Needed
You might be wondering why I’m so excited about seatbelt pretensioners. Well, let me tell you, these bad boys are an unsung hero in the world of vehicular safety.
Both the RAV4 and Forester have pretensioners that automagically tighten those belts, securing you snug as a bug during a collision. Safety never felt so good!
The Security System Face-off: Keep Those Sticky Fingers at Bay
When it comes to security, both the RAV4 and Forester are equipped with top-notch systems to deter those pesky car thieves. Sporting ignition disable devices, these vehicular fortresses won’t start unless the original manufacturer key is used.
Talk about playing hard to get!
The Whiplash Wildcard: Forester’s Secret Weapon
Now, let’s talk about the elephant in the room: the one key difference between these two automotive titans.
The Forester comes equipped with anti-whiplash head restraints, a nifty feature that actively reacts to rear collision forces, cradling your precious noggin to reduce the likelihood of whiplash injuries. As much as it pains me to say it, the RAV4 has to take a backseat in this department.
Putting It All Together: The Moment of Truth
Alright, folks, we’ve navigated the twists and turns of safety features galore, and it’s time to face the music and compare. After an intense, no-holds-barred showdown between these vehicular gladiators, let’s recap where we stand:
- Both the RAV4 and Forester go above and beyond in terms of airbags, providing top-notch protection for your head, torso, and knees.
- Seatbelt pretensioners? Check. Both vehicles have you covered in the optimal seating position during a collision department.
- Security systems? You betcha! These bad boys won’t let any Tom, Dick, or Harry get behind the wheel without the original manufacturer key.
But, alas, there can only be one winner in this epic duel. With its innovative anti-whiplash head restraints, the Subaru Forester emerges victorious, clinching the coveted title of “Safest Vehicle.”
As much as I adore the RAV4, I have to tip my hat to the Forester for going the extra mile in safety innovation.
Is Subaru the Safest Car Manufacturer?
Subaru is renowned for its commitment to safety, and it’s not just a lot of hot air. With their innovative designs and cutting-edge technology, Subaru has earned a well-deserved reputation for keeping drivers and passengers as safe as houses. Here are just a few reasons why Subaru is a safety trailblazer:
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive: A key ingredient in Subaru’s safety recipe is their Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system, which provides optimal balance and control, ensuring you’re as steady as a rock on the road, come rain or shine.
- Eyesight Driver Assist Technology: Talk about a guardian angel! Subaru’s Eyesight system monitors traffic movement, optimizes cruise control, and warns you if you’re swaying outside your lane. It’s like having a watchful eye in the sky, keeping you safe and sound.
- Subaru Global Platform: Subaru’s vehicles are built on the Subaru Global Platform, a state-of-the-art design that enhances safety, stability, and overall performance. It’s the backbone of Subaru’s safety commitment.
Safety Ratings: A Crystal Clear Picture
Numbers don’t lie, and Subaru’s safety ratings are the bee’s knees. In fact, many of their models have consistently received top honors from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Feast your eyes on this nifty markdown table showcasing some of their most impressive ratings:
|Model||IIHS Top Safety Pick+||NHTSA 5-Star Overall Rating|
I don’t know about you, but I’m seeing stars—in a good way! Subaru’s commitment to safety is evident in their stellar ratings, earning them a well-deserved spot at the top of the safety ladder.
The Final Verdict: Is Subaru the Safest Car Manufacturer?
Alright, folks, we’ve explored the ins and outs of Subaru’s safety features, and it’s time for the moment of truth. While it’s impossible to declare a single car manufacturer as the absolute safest, Subaru undeniably stands tall as a safety titan in the automotive world.
With their innovative safety technology, outstanding safety ratings, and unwavering commitment to keeping drivers and passengers secure, Subaru has earned its stripes as a top contender in the safety arena.
So, the next time you’re shopping for a vehicle that’ll keep you and your loved ones safe as kittens, give Subaru a serious look. You might just find your perfect safety match!
Is Toyota The Safest Car Brand?
Let’s kick things off with a rundown of Toyota’s safety feature buffet. Feast your eyes on these mouth-watering morsels:
- Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS): Toyota’s very own suite of advanced safety tech, designed to keep you and your passengers safer than a bank vault.
- Star Safety System™: Toyota’s pièce de résistance, featuring six advanced safety features that work in perfect harmony like a vehicular safety symphony.
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD): This forward-thinking feature helps prevent or mitigate potential collisions with vehicles, pedestrians, and even cyclists.
Phew! If that doesn’t get your safety senses tingling, I don’t know what will. But how does Toyota stack up against other car brands in the safety department? Let’s find out!
The Safest Car Brands Showdown: A Battle for the Ages
Now that we’ve established Toyota’s safety chops, it’s time to see how they fare against the competition. Behold, a thrilling showdown of the safest car brands in a nifty table:
|Car Brand||IIHS Top Safety Picks||Euro NCAP Awards||Safety Innovations|
Well, butter my biscuits! It seems Toyota is sitting pretty atop the IIHS Top Safety Picks leaderboard, with a whopping 11 awards to their name. But that’s not all!
They’ve also snagged 7 Euro NCAP awards, proving they’re a force to be reckoned with in the realm of auto safety. However, we can’t discount the competition—Subaru, Volvo, and Honda are hot on Toyota’s heels with their own safety accolades and innovations.
The Verdict: Is Toyota the Safety Champion?
Alright, folks, it’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for. After an exhaustive, pedal-to-the-metal exploration of auto safety, can we crown Toyota as the safest car brand?
While Toyota is undoubtedly a top contender in the safety game, it’s not quite right to declare them the undisputed champ. With other brands like Subaru, Volvo, and Honda nipping at their heels, the race for the safest car brand is closer than ever.
One thing’s for sure, though: Toyota is a force to be reckoned with, consistently pushing the envelope in safety innovation.
So, the next time you’re shopping for a new set of wheels, remember this wild ride we’ve shared. Toyota may not be the uncontested safety king, but they’re definitely a top choice for those who value a secure driving experience.
And there you have it, folks – a rip-roaring comparison of the Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester’s safety ratings and features. Both vehicles bring a lot to the table when it comes to keeping you safe on the road, but the choice ultimately depends on what floats your boat.
So whether you’re a die-hard Toyota fan or a Subaru enthusiast, make sure to weigh the pros and cons of each vehicle’s safety features and ratings before you take the plunge. After all, nothing beats the feeling of being safe as houses in your new ride!