*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you having trouble finding the perfect off-road capable SUV that can handle both your daily commute and weekend adventures? Look no further, my friend!
In this comprehensive comparison, we’ll dive into the exciting world of the Toyota Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness (just two of many Toyota & Forester trims), two rugged and capable vehicles that are bound to make your off-roading dreams come true.
Keep reading as we explore each model’s exterior design, interior comfort, off-road performance, engine capabilities, safety features, technology, pricing, and real-world ownership experiences.
Buckle up, and let’s get started!
Rav4 Vs Subaru Forester Exterior Design and Styling
Toyota Rav4 TRD exterior features
This Toyota Rav4 is a real head-turner with its bold and aggressive design, perfect for those who want to make a statement on and off the road. Let’s take a closer look at some of its most eye-catching features:
- Bold grille design: The Rav4’s front end sports a prominent grille that gives it a commanding presence. Its blacked-out design and striking TRD logo make it stand out from the crowd.
- Aggressive wheel arches: A set of flared wheel arches adds to the Rav4’s rugged demeanor, hinting at its off-road prowess.
- Exclusive TRD badging: With TRD badging adorning the front, side, and rear, this Rav4 leaves no doubt about its off-road pedigree.
Forester Wilderness exterior features
Subaru offers a more understated yet rugged approach to off-road styling. Here’s what you’ll find when you feast your eyes on this beautiful Forester off-road SUV.
- Rugged body cladding: The Forester Wilderness is clad in durable black plastic, providing extra protection against the elements and adding to its tough-as-nails appearance.
- Unique front bumper and grille: With its redesigned front bumper and distinctive hexagonal grille, the Forester Wilderness sets itself apart from other Forester models.
- Wilderness logo and accents: The Wilderness badging and copper-colored accents leave no doubt that this Subaru is built for adventure.
Comparison of design elements and appeal
Both the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Forester Wilderness models sport rugged and functional designs, but their approaches are notably different. While the Rav4 opts for a bolder and more aggressive look, the Forester Wilderness embodies a more subdued, yet still rugged, aesthetic.
The choice between the two will largely come down to personal taste and whether you prefer a vehicle that demands attention or one that blends in with nature.
Rav4 Vs Subaru Forester Interior Comfort and Amenities
Toyota Rav4 TRD interior highlights
When it comes to interior comfort and amenities for many miles on or off the road, the Rav4 doesn’t disappoint. You’ll find a host of premium materials and exclusive TRD touches throughout the cabin:
- Premium materials and trim: The Rav4’s interior is adorned with high-quality materials, including Softex synthetic leather seats, red contrast stitching, and brushed aluminum accents.
- Exclusive TRD detailing: TRD-branded floor mats, headrests, and shift knob help set this Rav4 apart from its siblings.
- Spacious cabin and cargo area: The Rav4 offers generous passenger and cargo space, with plenty of room for five occupants and their gear.
Forester Wilderness interior highlights
The Forester Wilderness, on the other hand, focuses on durability and functionality. Its interior is designed to withstand the rigors of off-road adventures:
- Durable and functional materials: The Wilderness features water-repellent StarTex upholstery, perfect for those muddy or wet adventures. Plus, the all-weather floor mats and cargo tray ensure easy clean-up after your outdoor escapades.
- Wilderness-specific accents: Copper-colored stitching and anodized copper-finish accents provide a distinctive touch, reminding you that you’re sitting in a special edition Forester.
- Generous passenger and storage space: The Forester Wilderness offers ample room for both passengers and cargo, making it a versatile option for families and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
Comparison of interior features and practicality
Both the Toyota Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness provide comfortable and functional interiors, but with different focuses. The Rav4 leans toward a more premium feel, while the Forester Wilderness emphasizes durability and easy clean-up.
Your choice will depend on whether you prioritize a touch of luxury or practicality in your off-road adventures.
|Feature||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Materials||Premium Softex synthetic leather||Durable, water-repellent StarTex|
|Accents||Red contrast stitching, aluminum||Copper-colored stitching, anodized copper-finish|
|Passenger & Cargo Space||Spacious, accommodating five occupants||Generous, versatile space for families and gear|
Off-Road Performance and Capabilities
Toyota Rav4 TRD off-road features
When you venture off the beaten path, the Rav4 is equipped to handle the challenges with these notable off-road features:
- TRD-tuned suspension: The Rav4 TRD’s suspension is specifically tuned for off-road adventures, providing improved articulation and a comfortable ride on uneven terrain.
- All-wheel-drive system: Toyota’s Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive (TV-AWD) system ensures optimal traction and stability on a variety of surfaces.
- Multi-terrain select modes: Customize your off-road experience with selectable terrain modes, including Mud & Sand, Rock & Dirt, and Snow.
Forester Wilderness off-road features
The Forester Wilderness, on the other hand, boasts its own set of off-road capabilities:
- Enhanced ground clearance: With an impressive 9.5 inches of ground clearance, the Forester Wilderness can tackle obstacles and rough terrain with ease.
- Advanced X-Mode system: Subaru’s X-Mode system optimizes engine output, transmission, and AWD performance for various off-road conditions, including snow, dirt, and mud.
- Skid plates and protective elements: The Forester Wilderness comes equipped with front, rear, and engine skid plates, as well as all-around body cladding for extra protection against rocks and debris.
Off-road performance comparison
While both the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Forester Wilderness are built to take on off-road challenges, their capabilities differ. The Rav4 focuses on suspension tuning and terrain customization, while the Forester Wilderness emphasizes ground clearance and protection.
If you often encounter rough terrain and obstacles, the Forester Wilderness may be the better choice, while the Rav4 TRD might be more suitable for those who want a more tailored off-road experience.
Engine Performance and Fuel Efficiency
Toyota Rav4 TRD engine specifications
Under the hood, the Rav4 boasts a capable powerplant and transmission:
- Horsepower and torque figures: The Rav4 TRD is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers 203 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission options: An 8-speed automatic transmission ensures smooth shifts and a responsive driving experience.
- Fuel economy ratings: The Rav4 TRD achieves an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 25 mpg in the city, 32 mpg on the highway, and 27 mpg combined.
Forester Wilderness engine specifications
The Forester Wilderness offers its own unique engine and transmission setup:
- Engine output and capabilities: A 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine powers the Forester Wilderness, producing 260 horsepower and 277 lb-ft of torque.
- Transmission choices: Subaru’s Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) offers seamless shifting and impressive fuel efficiency.
- MPG ratings: The Forester Wilderness boasts an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 22 mpg in the city, 28 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg combined.
Comparison of engine performance and efficiency
The Toyota Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness offer different driving experiences with their respective engines and transmissions. While the Rav4 has a slightly more fuel-efficient engine, the Forester Wilderness offers greater power and torque.
Your choice will depend on whether you prioritize fuel economy or performance.
|Specification||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Engine||2.5L four-cylinder||2.4L turbocharged four-cylinder|
|Horsepower||203 hp||260 hp|
|Torque||184 lb-ft||277 lb-ft|
|Transmission||8-speed automatic||Lineartronic CVT|
|Fuel Economy (city/hwy/combined)||25/32/27 mpg||22/28/24 mpg|
Safety Features and Ratings
Toyota Rav4 TRD safety equipment
Toyota is known for its commitment to safety, and the Rav4 is no exception. Here are some key safety features:
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense suite: This suite includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- Active and passive safety features: This Rav4 also comes with Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, and Smart Stop Technology.
- Crash test ratings: The Rav4 has earned top safety ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Forester Wilderness safety equipment
Subaru takes safety seriously as well, and the Forester Wilderness is equipped with numerous safety features:
- Standard EyeSight Driver Assist Technology: This advanced suite includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Pre-Collision Braking, and Pre-Collision Throttle Management.
- Comprehensive safety features: The Forester Wilderness also offers Vehicle Dynamics Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
- Safety ratings: Like the Rav4 TRD, the Forester Wilderness has received top safety ratings from both the NHTSA and IIHS.
Comparison of safety offerings and ratings
Both the Toyota Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness boast impressive safety features and top ratings from safety organizations. Their commitment to safety is evident, and your choice will ultimately come down to personal preference and brand loyalty.
|Suite||Toyota Safety Sense||EyeSight Driver Assist Technology|
|Key Features||Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beams, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control||Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Pre-Collision Braking, Pre-Collision Throttle Management|
|Additional Safety Systems||Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Smart Stop Technology||Vehicle Dynamics Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Tire Pressure Monitoring System|
|Safety Ratings||Top ratings from NHTSA and IIHS||Top ratings from NHTSA and IIHS|
When it comes to safety, both the Rav4 and Forester Wilderness go above and beyond to ensure you and your passengers are protected on and off the road. They both have advanced safety suites, offering features like pre-collision systems, lane departure alerts, and adaptive cruise control.
But it doesn’t stop there! They each come equipped with additional safety systems, like stability and traction control, anti-lock brakes, and brake assist.
Now, let’s chat about those safety ratings. These two SUVs have aced their tests and received top marks from the NHTSA and IIHS. It’s like they’re both valedictorians in the safety department!
So, when it comes to safety, you really can’t go wrong with either the Rav4 or the Forester Wilderness. It’s like choosing between two superhero sidekicks who have your back no matter what. Talk about a win-win situation!
Rav4 Vs Forester Technology and Infotainment
Toyota Rav4 TRD technology highlights
When you’re out adventuring, staying connected is important. Let’s see what kind of tech goodies the Rav4 has up its sleeve:
- Entune 3.0 Audio system: This intuitive multimedia system features an 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa compatibility, and a six-speaker sound system.
- Connected Services: This Rav4 offers Remote Connect, Service Connect, and Wi-Fi Connect to help you stay connected on the go.
- Qi-compatible wireless charging: Keep your smartphone charged without the hassle of cords using the available wireless charging pad.
Forester Wilderness technology highlights
Now, let’s take a gander at the Forester Wilderness’s tech offerings:
- STARLINK Multimedia system: This system includes an 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and a six-speaker audio setup.
- Available Navigation: An optional built-in TomTom navigation system ensures you never get lost on your off-road excursions.
- MySubaru app: This handy app offers remote start, lock and unlock, vehicle locator, and other helpful services.
Comparison of technology and infotainment features
Both the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Forester Wilderness come well-equipped with modern technology and infotainment systems, offering user-friendly interfaces and smartphone compatibility. The Rav4 TRD has the advantage of standard wireless charging, while the Forester Wilderness offers optional built-in navigation.
Ultimately, your choice will depend on which specific features are most important to you.
|Technology Feature||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Multimedia System||Entune 3.0 Audio||STARLINK Multimedia|
|Smartphone Compatibility||Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa||Apple CarPlay, Android Auto|
|Connected Services||Remote Connect, Service Connect, Wi-Fi Connect||MySubaru app with remote services|
|Additional Features||Qi-compatible wireless charging||Available built-in TomTom navigation|
So, you’re curious about the tech side of things, huh? Both the Rav4 and Forester Wilderness are decked out with some pretty nifty gadgets to keep you connected and entertained.
Let’s dive into the details!
The Rav4 rocks the Entune 3.0 Audio system, which comes with an 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and even Amazon Alexa compatibility.
And, for your convenience, it’s got Qi-compatible wireless charging to keep your phone juiced up without the cable chaos.
On the other side of the spectrum, the Forester Wilderness sports the STARLINK Multimedia system, also featuring an 8-inch touchscreen and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Plus, it offers an optional built-in TomTom navigation system to ensure you never lose your way while exploring the great outdoors.
And, with the MySubaru app, you’ll have access to a whole suite of remote services right at your fingertips.
In summary, both SUVs come loaded with plenty of tech goodies to keep you connected, entertained, and informed. It really comes down to which features suit your fancy.
Do you want that sweet wireless charging? Or, are you all about having built-in navigation? The choice is yours, tech-savvy adventurer!
Rav4 Vs Forester Price and Value
Toyota Rav4 TRD pricing and value
Let’s talk dollars and cents. Here’s what you can expect when it comes to the Rav4’s pricing and value:
- Starting price: The Toyota Rav4 TRD starts at $35,780 (excluding destination charge).
- Standard features: For that price, you get a well-equipped SUV with off-road capabilities, an upscale interior, and a strong suite of safety and technology features.
- Resale value: Toyota vehicles are known for their strong resale value, which means the Rav4 TRD should hold up well over time.
Forester Wilderness pricing and value
Now, let’s check out the Forester price tag and value proposition:
- Base price: The Subaru Forester Wilderness has a starting price of $32,820 (excluding destination charge).
- Included features: At this price point, you’ll enjoy a rugged, off-road-ready SUV with a practical and durable interior, impressive safety features, and useful technology.
- Resale value: Like Toyota, Subaru has a reputation for excellent resale value, ensuring the Forester Wilderness will remain a solid investment over time.
Price and value comparison
When it comes to price and value, the Toyota Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness offer different propositions. The Rav4 TRD is a bit pricier, but it includes more premium materials and features.
The Forester Wilderness is more budget-friendly, focusing on practicality and durability. Both vehicles have strong resale value, so your decision will ultimately depend on your budget and preferences.
|Factor||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Notable Features||Upscale interior, off-road capabilities, strong safety and tech suites||Rugged design, practical interior, solid safety and tech offerings|
Alright, let’s get real about the moolah. When you’re choosing between the Rav4 TRD and Forester Wilderness, you’ll need to consider the price tag and the value each SUV brings to the table. So, let’s break it down, shall we?
This Rav4 has a starting price of $37,595 (excluding destination charge), which might seem a bit steep. But when you take a closer look at what you’re getting, it starts to make sense.
This baby comes loaded with an upscale interior, off-road capabilities, and a generous helping of safety and tech features. Plus, Toyota vehicles are known for their strong resale value, so you’ll likely get a good return on your investment over time.
Now, let’s talk about the Forester Wilderness. With a base price of $34,320 (excluding destination charge), it’s a more budget-friendly option. But don’t worry, it’s not skimping on features.
This rugged SUV boasts a practical and durable interior, impressive safety features, and useful tech offerings. And just like the Rav4, the Forester Wilderness has a solid resale value, thanks to Subaru’s reputation for reliability and longevity.
In the end, the choice between the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Forester Wilderness comes down to what you value most.
Are you willing to shell out a bit more cash for a premium feel and some extra bells and whistles? Or, do you prefer a more wallet-friendly option that still packs a punch when it comes to practicality and performance? It’s all up to you, intrepid explorer!
Toyota Rav4 TRD Vs Forester Wilderness
We’ve covered a lot of ground in this epic comparison between the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Forester Wilderness. Let’s do a quick recap of the key points.
- Exterior design: Both SUVs feature rugged, off-road-inspired designs, with the Rav4 adopting a more aggressive and angular look, while the Forester Wilderness opts for a more traditional and functional style.
- Rav4 TRD: Bold grille, sharp lines, and striking LED headlights
- Forester Wilderness: Rugged appearance, functional cladding, and practical roof rails
- Interior and cargo space: The Rav4 TRD offers a more upscale and comfortable interior, while the Forester Wilderness is more utilitarian and durable. Cargo space is roughly equal, with the Forester Wilderness having a slight edge.
- Rav4 TRD: Soft-touch materials, stylish design, and spacious rear seating
- Forester Wilderness: Easy-to-clean surfaces, practical storage solutions, and slightly more cargo space
|Cargo Space||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Behind Rear Seats||37.6 cu ft||39.2 cu ft|
|With Seats Folded||69.8 cu ft||76.1 cu ft|
- Off-road capabilities: Both SUVs are equipped for off-road adventures, with specialized suspension, increased ground clearance, and all-wheel drive systems. The Rav4 has a slight edge in off-road performance, while the Forester Wilderness excels in all-terrain versatility.
- Rav4 TRD: TRD-tuned suspension, better approach and departure angles, and Multi-terrain Select
- Forester Wilderness: Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, Dual-Function X-MODE, and 9.2-inch ground clearance
- Engine and fuel efficiency: The Rav4 TRD off-road has a more fuel-efficient engine, while the Forester Wilderness offers greater power and torque. Your choice will depend on whether you prioritize fuel economy or performance.
- Rav4 TRD off-road: 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, 28/35 mpg city/highway
- Forester Wilderness: 2.4-liter turbocharged BOXER engine, 23/29 mpg city/highway
- Safety features and ratings: Both vehicles boast impressive safety features and top ratings from safety organizations, making them equally strong choices when it comes to protecting you and your passengers.
- Rav4 TRD off-road: Toyota Safety Sense suite, Vehicle Stability Control, and top ratings from NHTSA and IIHS
- Forester Wilderness: EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, Vehicle Dynamics Control, and top ratings from NHTSA and IIHS
- Technology and infotainment: Both SUVs come well-equipped with modern technology and infotainment systems, offering user-friendly interfaces and smartphone compatibility. Your choice will depend on which specific features are most important to you.
- Rav4 TRD off-road: Entune 3.0 Audio system, Connected Services, and Qi-compatible wireless charging
- Forester Wilderness: STARLINK Multimedia system, available built-in TomTom navigation, and MySubaru app
- Price and value: The Rav4 TRD off-road is a bit pricier, but it includes more premium materials and features. The Forester Wilderness is more budget-friendly, focusing on practicality and durability. Both vehicles have strong resale value, so your decision will ultimately depend on your budget and preferences.
- Rav4 TRD off-road: Starting price of $37,595, upscale interior, strong suite of safety and technology features
- Forester Wilderness: Base price of $34,320, rugged and practical design, impressive safety features and useful technology
|Factor||Toyota Rav4 TRD||Forester Wilderness|
|Notable Features||Upscale interior, off-road capabilities, strong safety and tech suites||Rugged design, practical interior, solid safety and tech offerings|
In conclusion, the choice between the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Subaru Forester Wilderness boils down to what matters most to you and not just the car ratings. If you’re all about that premium feel and don’t mind splurging a little, the Rav4 TRD off-road might be your perfect match.
On the other hand, if you’re seeking a more budget-conscious option that doesn’t skimp on practicality and performance, the Forester Wilderness could be your off-road soulmate.
Either way, you can’t go wrong with these two rugged, adventure-ready SUVs. So, buckle up, and get ready to explore the great outdoors in style and comfort!