*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In the world of high-end SUVs, a fierce competition exists between two Japanese luxury titans: the venerable Toyota Land Cruiser and its swanky sibling, the Lexus LX 570. Both models come from a lineage that champions reliability, luxuriousness, and off-road prowess. Yet, they carve their identities with enough distinction, leading to an inevitable rivalry that has car enthusiasts and potential buyers weighing their options. While they share an impressive heritage and mechanical underpinnings, the Land Cruiser and LX 570 cater to slightly different demographics with their unique blends of style and substance.
One might say the Toyota Land Cruiser reflects a more utilitarian approach with its conservative styling, favoring function over form. Contrarily, the Lexus LX 570 flirts with a more extravagant crowd, flashing a more luxurious facade and finishing touches that scream opulence. This juxtaposition is most palpable when one scrutinizes their exterior designs and interior accommodations. However, beneath their skins lies a mechanical heart that throbs with similar vigor—a beastly 5.7L V8 engine that propels these metal beasts with authority across both highways and uncharted terrains.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX 570 share mechanical components, but differentiate in design and luxury features.
- Exterior aesthetics and interior luxury levels are distinct, with the Land Cruiser being more conservative and the LX 570 more opulent.
- Both SUVs wield a powerful 5.7L V8 engine, showcasing performance and off-road capabilities.
Battle of the Brands
In the grand arena of high-end SUVs, the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX 570 stand bumper to bumper, vying for the crown. Both represent a rich heritage and opulence, but let’s see how they throw their weight around in specifics, shall we?
The Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX are like siblings from a royal family, with the former often considered the king of the off-road jungle. The 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser retains its rugged DNA while the Lexus LX 570 dons a tuxedo to the same family dinner. They both benefit from years of evolution, with the Land Cruiser’s lineage dating back over 60 years, making it an icon in the world of SUVs. Meanwhile, Lexus, as the luxury arm of Toyota, ensures the LX is the Land Cruiser’s posh twin, with both vehicles sharing the same courageous heart under their distinctive attire.
- Engine: 5.7L V8
- 2021 Land Cruiser: Built for strenuosity, it laughs in the face of rough terrain.
- 2021 Lexus LX: Pampers with poshness, preferring to flex its power on the tarmac, Kraftwerks and caviar anyone?
When it comes to luxury, the Lexus LX 570 doesn’t hold back on the bling. It’s like riding in the lap of a mechanized Zeus, assuming Zeus had a thing for perforated leather and wood trim. The Lexus LX struts onto the scene with all the bells and whistles:
- Seats: Lavishly leather-trimmed
- Interior Features: Enough screens to make a NASA control room jealous
The Land Cruiser, while not short on amenities, is like a trusty steed with a velvet saddle—it doesn’t need to show off with glitzy hoof polish. They both may wow with their refinement, but the Lexus LX takes it a notch higher, always ready to roll out the red carpet.
|2021 Lexus LX 570
|2021 Toyota Land Cruiser
|Mark Levinson Audio
|JBL Audio System
|Up to 8, but prefers 5
|Up to 8, ruggedly cozy
In this bout between behemoths, they both come out swinging with their individual strengths—though one does it with a velvet glove.
Under the Hood
Before diving into the nitty-gritty, know that the Lexus LX 570 and Toyota Land Cruiser share many similarities under their shiny exteriors, but it’s the subtle differences that make them unique mechanical beasts.
The Lexus LX 570 trots out with a brawny 5.7-liter V8 engine, a veritable feast of power that’s akin to having an army of horses under one’s foot. As for its off-road cousin, the Land Cruiser, they share the same engine heart. Both are known to sip fuel like a marathon runner guzzles water, but they do it with such panache.
- Engine: 5.7-liter V8
- Fuel Management: Thirsty, yet sophisticated
The Lexus LX 570 and the Land Cruiser boast an eight-speed automatic transmission, smooth as butter and ready to play the gears like a well-tuned piano. It’s all about refined muscle, whether one’s cruising the boulevard or traversing a mountain trail.
- Transmission Type: 8-speed automatic
- Driving Dynamics: As smooth as jazz on a Sunday morning
Both vehicles gallop out of the gates with an impressive display of power. With 383 horsepower, drivers will have no trouble feeling like they’ve grabbed a tiger by the tail. It’s like having a herd of stallions at your beck and call, ready to charge at the slightest provocation.
- Horsepower: 383 hp
- Performance: Ready to prance at a moment’s notice
Lexus LX 570:
- Heated leather seats beckon tired derrières, offering a warm hug on a cold day.
- The option for a two-row or three-row affair means you can choose between extra friends or extra cargo.
Toyota Land Cruiser:
- Leather, but make it utility-chic—durable and ready for a mud-wrestling match.
- Three rows standard, because the more the merrier, and this SUV smells fear in those who dare to overpack.
Lexus LX 570:
- A smorgasbord of screens with a 12.3-inch infotainment display leading the charge.
- Listen, there’s a 19-speaker Mark Levinson® audio system that may just outshine your shower singing.
Toyota Land Cruiser:
|Land Cruiser Specs
|14 Speaker JBL®
There, they can enjoy premium sound without the premium trimming.
Pricing and Practicality
When diving into the wallet-friendly world of the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX 570, a buyer must consider both the sticker shock and the frugal joys of owning these luxurious behemoths.
The Land Cruiser and LX 570 are siblings in luxury but with a noticeable difference in their price tags. In 2021, the starting point for a Land Cruiser was about $85,665, with the Heritage Edition inching upwards of $89,000. The LX 570, dressed in luxury, began around $86,930 for the two-row model, while those in need of the three-row variant had to part with around $93,000.
|Two-Row Model Starting Price
|Three-Row Model Starting Price
|Lexus LX 570
|Toyota Land Cruiser
Warranties – they’re the superheroes behind the wheel, ready to save the day when things go awry. Both SUVs carry the standard vroom-vroom protection plan: a 4-year/50,000-mile basic warranty and a 6-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty. These warranties ensure one can cruise in their Cruiser or luxuriate in their LX without a worry.
- Basic Warranty: 4 years/50,000 miles
- Powertrain Warranty: 6 years/70,000 miles
When it comes to towing, these SUVs flex their muscles with the might of Hercules. The Toyota Land Cruiser performs a robust act, towing up to 8,100 lbs, just shy of a small elephant. The Lexus LX 570, not to be outdone in this heavyweight tussle, matches that with an equally impressive towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. One could say they’re the Herculean heroes of the highway.
- Lexus LX 570 Towing Capacity: 7,000 lbs
- Toyota Land Cruiser Towing Capacity: 8,100 lbs
For those itching for a full review of each vehicle’s capabilities beyond the numbers, they will find ample evidence that owning either SUV is like having a personal Mount Olympus on wheels – mighty, majestic, and a little bit mythical in their do-it-all nature.