*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever had your hands so full that opening a door or the boot has been almost impossible without having to put everything down first? It’s not pleasant when it’s raining, believe me! The introduction of the power liftgate has been a lifesaver for many of us.
I wonder if the Rav4 has a power liftgate along with all its other fancy tech features?
The Toyota Rav4 has a power liftgate feature in some of its trim levels that come standard with a fob sensor. Some of the Rav4 trims have a foot-activated power liftgate for hands-free convenience. Toyota introduced the power liftgate feature to the Rav4 around 2013.
The power liftgate feature is what some would call an advanced driver assistance feature because of its convenience and ease of use. Power liftgate originally needed the push of a button to be activated but technology advancements today need only a little kick of the foot to activate the liftgate sensor.
We’re sensing that this might be an upper Rav4 trim feature so read on to find out!
Which Toyota Rav4 has Power Liftgate?
One of the more advanced and convenient features that Toyota added to their Compact Rav4 SUV model car range is the power liftgate element.
The liftgate is targeted towards those who might have a lot to carry and need “an extra hand” as seen in this 2017 Rav4 Limited Toyota ad demonstration here.
The power liftgate feature was introduced to the Rav4 around the year 2013 and has been a beneficial and favorite feature of the Rav4 since, alongside the Rav4s spacious interior and advanced safety features.
The Toyota Rav4 Prime and the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid both have the hands-free power liftgate feature.
Here are the Toyota Rav4 models, from 2013, that have the convenient power liftgate feature:
2013 – 2014 Toyota Rav4
The 2013 and 2014 Toyota Rav4 comes in three trim levels, the Le, XLE, and the Limited models.
- The Toyota Rav4 Limited SUV features an adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
- The power liftgate feature on the 2013 – 2014 Rav4 Limited is operated with a smart key fob
- To operate the liftgate, press and hold the button on the fob until you hear a beep
- Power liftgate is a standard feature on the 2013 and 2014 Rav4 Limited trims
2015 – 2016 Toyota Rav4
In 2015 Toyota decided to give drivers of the middle trim Rav4, the XLE, the option to choose if they would also like a taste of the power liftgate feature.
- The power liftgate is still standard on the Limited Rav4
- The power liftgate is now an option, for an additional price, with the XLE Rav4
Does the 2017 Toyota Rav4 Have Power Liftgate?
Introducing the all-new foot-activated power liftgate feature! No longer do you need to press any buttons; you can simply activate the cargo door by kicking your foot under the rear of the car. A pretty nifty design if you’re carrying children, university books, moving boxes, groceries, or all of the above!
Toyota also introduced two new trims to the Rav4 lineup in 2017, the SE, and the Platinum models.
- The power liftgate is still an optional package offered in the XLE 2017 Rav4
- The power liftgate is also optional for the all-new Toyota Rav4 Sports Edition (SE) trim
- The power liftgate is standard in the Rav4 Limited trim
- A power liftgate and hands-free power liftgate are standard in the 2017 Toyota Rav4 Platinum trim
Does the 2018 Toyota Rav4 Have Power Liftgate?
Still in its fourth generation, Toyota up their Rav4 game by introducing an Adventure trim to last year of the Rav4 generation four meaning the Rav4 now has 6 superior trims to choose from.
Toyota really knows how to widen its target audience!
- The lower Rav4 trim, LE, is still not offered with the option to upgrade with the power liftgate
- The XLE still comes with the option to upgrade to a power liftgate feature for an additional price
- The SE trim also has the option to upgrade with the power liftgate
- The adventure trim is directed towards buyers who seek more of an off-road style car. As such the liftgate is an option but does not come standard
- The Limited Toyota Rav4 now comes standard with the power liftgate and the option to upgrade to a hands-free power liftgate
- Just like its earlier 2017 model, the Platinum comes with a standard power liftgate feature and hands-free power liftgate
Does the 2019 Toyota Rav4 Have Power Liftgate?
Welcome to the fifth generation of the Toyota Rav4. Still more popular than ever, still Toyota’s best-selling car and one of the best-selling SUVs worldwide. The Premium trim is essential no more and Toyota has integrated the premium trim with the XLE to have a basic XLE and an enhanced Premium XLE.
- A hands-free power liftgate is optional on the basic XLE Rav4
- The power liftgate and hands-free liftgate are standard on the XLE Premium Rav4
- The power liftgate is standard on the 2019 Rav4 Adventure trim
- A hands-free power liftgate, as an option, is not offered for the adventure trim
- As always, the Limited comes standard with a power liftgate and hands-free liftgate
Does the 2020 Toyota Rav4 Have Power Liftgate?
Ranked at number 5 of 16 for most affordable compact SUVs in 2020 as rated by Cars Us News, the Toyota Rav4 now has six trims available with multiple configurations. The TRD Off-Road is the newest member of the Rav4 family, and it has some superior safety features for off-road adventurers.
- The power liftgate is now standard in the XLE Premium but a hands-free power liftgate is not an option
- The power liftgate is optional in the Adventure trim
- The Limited trim now only offers the power liftgate and hands-free power liftgate as an option
- The power liftgate is standard in the TRD off-road trim
Does the 2021 Toyota Rav4 Have Power Liftgate?
There were no changes to the power liftgate standard and optional features made for the release of the 2021 Toyota Rav4. The lower trim level, LE, still does not feature, nor does it come with the option, to upgrade with a power liftgate and the higher trim levels are either standard or optional (see 2020 above).
What is Power Liftgate?
The power liftgate feature is an advanced technology feature that has been added to vehicles for the driver’s ease of access and ease of use to the cargo space of the car.
It is a motorized system that opens and closes the boot door at the press of a button or with the kick of a foot under the rear cargo area. With the button or the sensor, the cargo door opens and closes automatically for your convenience.
Call it an invisible doorman if you will, but the bonus is that you don’t have to tip!
How to Use the Power Liftgate feature
Operating the power liftgate and the hands-free power liftgate is a simple task.
- Hold down the button on your key fob until the vehicle beeps and the boot door opens
- Kick your foot gently under the rear of the vehicle to activate the sensor
Here is how to open a 2014 Rav4 hands-free power liftgate with two different options. You can also adjust the height of the liftgate to suit your needs.
Here is a demonstration of the 2016 Rav4 power liftgate which shows you how to use each option to open and close and adjust the door height from three different buttons. This works the same for a Toyota Highlander too.
Jeff from Toyota Jeff reviews shows us a great demonstration of the 2021 Rav4 Premium trim and how the hands-free power liftgate works and how to make sure it works to your advantage every time you need it.
If you’re the kind of person who doesn’t have the time, or who typically doesn’t like to make two trips, the excellent power liftgate option would be a great upgrade suited to your needs.
The Toyota Rav4 has numerous superior technology and safety features and Toyota has made the power liftgate and the hands-free power liftgate standard and optional in many of the Toyota Rav4 trims available on the market today.