*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Minivans are a great vehicle segment that caters to all the needs that you might have. The Dodge Caravan is a popular choice for many people because they are often cheaper than most of the other minivan models but are still an excellent choice.
One huge benefit that minivans have is their versatility as you can fit tons of people, cargo, or even tow items with it as well! But how much weight can a Dodge Grand Caravan minivan actually pull?
The Dodge Grand Caravan can pull up to 3,600lbs for the current model year. If you have an older Dodge minivan then the towing capacity could be less than that however.
Since the exact weight that a Dodge Grand Caravan can pull varies by model year I wanted to give the specific weight that each model year can pull as well.
Below is each Dodge Grand Caravan (and Dodge Caravan) model and how much they can pull.
- The 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 1,000lbs
- The 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,600lbs
- The 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,700lbs
- The 2007 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,800lbs
- The 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,700lbs
- The 2006 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,800lbs
- The 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,700lbs
- The 2005 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,800lbs
- The 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,500-3,800lbs.
- The 2004 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 2,000-3,800lbs
- The 2003 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,500-3,800lbs
- The 2002 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 3,550-3,800lbs
- The 2001 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,800lbs
- The 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 2000 Dodge Caravan can tow 1,000-2,000lbs
- The 1999 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,000-2,000lbs
- The 1998 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,000-2,000lbs
- The 1997 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,000-2,000lbs
- The 1996 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,000-2,000lbs
- The 1995 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs.
- The 1994 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 1993 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,750lbs
- The 1992 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
- The 1991 Dodge Caravan can pull 1,750lbs
- The 1990 Dodge Caravan can pull 2,000lbs
It is important to remember that the towing capacity of a minivan is reduced if you have any passengers or cargo inside of the vehicle. The weight of those passengers or cargo has to be subtracted from the towing capacity of 3,600lbs to get the accurate number.
So if you have 1,000lbs worth of people and cargo in your Dodge minivan then you can only tow 2,600lbs instead of the 3,600lbs that is it’s maximum.
No matter if your Dodge minivan is being used for personal or commercial reasons, having a decent towing capacity provides a significant advantage.Despite the fact that minivans are not the most ideal vehicles for towing, with a maximum weight of 3,600lbs it can be used for towing boats, horse trailers, small campers, and more.
Now that you know that a Dodge Caravan can pull up to 3,600 pounds let’s take a look at some other important information about this specific vehicle.
Safety tips for towing with a Dodge Grand Caravan
When it comes to towing, there are some important safety measures that should be taken before you ever pull out onto the road. Below are some important tips that will be handy while hauling any kind of load no matter if you are doing so with a Dodge Grand Caravan or another minivan.
- When you need to tow anything that is heavier than 1000 pounds, it needs to have dedicated brakes that you can connect to your vehicle. This way when you press the brake pedal on your minivan, the brakes on the trailer engage as well. If you don’t have independent brakes on the trailer it can make it extremely hard to control the vehicle and you may end up in an accident.
- You can lose control if you overload the trailer. If you are at the maximum weight (or above) for your minivan then you need to stop and remove some items from the trailer. Trying to haul too much weight can cause parts to fail on the trailer or minivan which can easily make you lose control of both of them!
- Distribution of weight is another massive consideration that you should know about. Often people who aren’t familiar with towing will just stack things wherever they fit but this doesn’t work well when going down the road. When you are pulling something, then keep the 40 percent of the weight at the back and the rest at the front. This will help to balance the load and provide a good center of gravity that helps the driver prevent the vehicle or the trailer from rolling. It is often seen that the uneven load distribution can cause fatal accidents.
These three tips are important to keep in mind and will help you avoid the most common problems that people experience when towing a trailer with their Dodge Grand Caravan or other minivan
If you need additional information then you should be sure and read the manual for both your minivan and trailer as they should give specific information about towing and ways to do it more safely. You can also ask for some assistance wherever you are getting the hitch installed at as they should be able to explain important things as well such as how to properly hook the trailer to the minivan and even how to ensure that the trailer is properly locked on to the hitch.
The Dodge Grand Caravan is capable of towing quite large loads on trailers with most newer models being able to tow up to 3,600lbs. That is enough weight to tow a small camper, medium boat, or even single horse trailer with a horse inside!
If you are looking for a minivan that can provide efficient functionalities and that can help you in the best possible ways then the features and towing capacity of the Dodge Grand Caravan is perfect for you.
You should always remember however that the weight of the trailer is just the beginning as you need to also know how much weight you are putting in or on the trailer that you will be pulling. If the trailer itself weighs 3,000lbs then you won’t be able to put much weight on it at all before you exceed your towing limit.
It’s much better to get a lighter trailer and have plenty of weight for cargo than to have a heavier trailer and hardly any weight for the cargo.