*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Toyota Sienna is built to be as practical as possible. This gives you plenty of space to transport eight people. But will you be able to fold these seats down to give you more storage capacity?
All the Sienna models will have the back row of seats that fold into the floor, however the second row will have to be removed manually. The second row will also normally fold up and slide forward but it doesn’t fold into the floor.
Folding down or removing the seats from your Sienna doesn’t need to be difficult. Keep reading to learn how to use these functions.
Which Seats Can Fold Down In The Sienna?
When you are choosing your car, it’s a good idea to get something that comes with as much storage as possible.
This means that being able to fold down the seats, so they go underneath the floor is an important aspect to consider. With this simple move, you will be able to unlock a lot of space.
In the current Sienna models you can only fold down the third row of seats into the floor. The only minivan that allows all of the rear seats to fold into the floor are those made by Chrysler and Dodge.
That is because Dodge/Chrysler currently have an active patent on the stow and go technology (although it does expire in a few years). Once that patent expires, the Sienna and other minivans are likely to start having all of their seats fold into the floor as well.
Pros And Cons Of Stowable Seating
Like most things, there are some pros and cons associated with having the option of putting your rear seats into the floor. The largest upside is the ability to rapidly increase the amount of storage space you have.
With the seats folded down, the Sienna is a versatile vehicle. You’ll be able to carry large bulky items with ease when the seats are laid flat.
Plus, it will be able to give you a more customizable experience. You’ll be able to change the configuration in minutes, swapping between storing items and adding more space for passengers.
Plus, putting these seats down when not in use will keep them free from stains.
But there is a minor downside for you to consider. Many people report that these seats might be a little harder and provide less room.
This can make them a more uncomfortable choice for a long journey.
How To Store The Rear Seats On A Sienna
Now that we know what the features of the Sienna are, here are the steps that you need to follow to use it in a manual model:
- Lower the headrest.
- Make sure that the seatbelts have been stowed between the seats properly.
- Find the “Fold Seat Back” strap. This will be located at the back of the seats. You’ll need to pull it back; this will allow you to lower the seats.
When you have finished transporting everything, it’s time to put the seat back into position. This is very easy.
All you need to do is pull the “Fold Seat Back” strap. This will allow you to raise the seat back into the upright position. You should hear them click back into place.
If you have a powered model, you will need to follow a slightly different procedure. Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Make sure that the car is in park.
- Lower the headrest.
- Make sure the seatbelts are stowed properly.
- Find the “Store and Go” button. This is located on the back of the seats. When you push this, the seats should fold down. When you want to put them back up, you just need to hit this button.
Removing The Siennas Second Row Seats
Since you can’t store the second row seats in the floor, there are a few other options you can explore. First, you might be able to store something on top of the seats.
You should be able to move down the headrests or adjust the angle of the seats to make this a little easier.
But if this doesn’t work, you will need to remove the seats. Here are the steps that you need to follow to do this:
- Put the headrests up.
- Pull the adjustment lever. This is located under the bottom of the chair.
- You should then be able to lift the cushions up and slide the seat forward, into the lock position.
- Pull the release lever under the chair.
- You should be able to lift it up.
- When you remove the second seat, you should be able to store it in the luggage. Make sure that you put it in the cushion first.
Putting The Second Row Seats Back Into The Sienna
Once you have finished transporting your items, it’s time to put the second row seats back into the Sienna. To do this, you will need to follow this procedure:
- Align the seat with the rails.
- Tip up the seat
- Put it back down, you should hear the latches engage.
- If the latches don’t engage, the seat was likely accidentally locked.
- Check the seat is in the right place by trying to lift up the cushions.
While this is the way that you put the end seats in place, you’ll need to follow a slightly different procedure to put the center seat back. Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Slot the back of the seat into the pins, you should hear it click into place.
- Push the front cushion down, you should hear the click as it locks.
- Lift up the top of the seat. Listen for the click
- Try to lift the bottom and lower the top to check that it is secure.
The Sienna is a spacious vehicle, making it easy to store and haul almost anything. Sometimes, you will be able to open up the space by folding the rear seats into the floor.
At other times, you will need to remove the middle seats to get as much space as possible. The good news is that this won’t take too long, and your car will be ready to transport almost anything.