*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are buying a Toyota Camry, you want to make sure that you are getting something practical. Part of this involves having a lot of space in the trunk.
So, will you be able to fold down the rear seats to create more space?
Most of the modern Camry models will feature fold-down seats. They can be accessed through pull tabs in the trunk. The only exception to this is the L, the basic model. This won’t have the ability to fold down the seats.
There are a few simple ways that you can get more storage in a Camry. Part of this is folding down the seats.
Keep reading to learn more about how you can unlock this feature in your Camry. To see some amazing gadgets for your car just click here.
Toyota Camry 60/40 Split-Folding Seats
In a Camry, you will be able to get 60/40 split-folding seats. This simply means that they will fold down in sections. This is the standard in modern cars because of the amount of flexibility that it offers.
For example, you might want to fold one seat, but leave the other section up.
While this option is available on most models, it isn’t found in all Camrys. If you are buying a newer Camry, all models except the L will have folding seats.
How Do You Fold Down Seats In A Camry?
The good news is that it is fairly easy for you to fold down the seats in the Camry. Here are the steps that you will need to follow:
- Open the trunk.
- Find the pull tabs. There will be two of these. One on the left and one on the right. They will be located at the top of the trunk.
- Pull the seats down. Once you have released the back on the seats, you should be able to pull or push them down.
You will be able to decide whether you want one or all of the seats down. This video talks you through each of these steps.
It should be noted that this will be different in the L level, which is the most basic model. In that model you can’t fold down the rear seats.
You should also know that this is only the case for newer Camrys. It will be the procedure for those made after 2018. If you have an earlier model, you will need to follow this procedure:
- Find the seat releases. These should be located at the back of the headrest; they will look like little knobs. To release the seat, you will need to pull up on them.
- Pull the seat forward. Once released, it should be easy for you to pull the seat forward.
- Push the seat back. When you want to return the seat to the original position, you should be able to push back on it. You will hear the latch click as it locks back into place.
Putting The Camry Seats Back Up
Once you have finished transporting your items, you’ll want to put the rear seats back into their normal position. Thankfully, this will be very easy to do.
You will just need to lift the seats. They should go back into position easily and latch right into place.
There are a few ways that you can make sure that this has been done properly. First, you should be able to hear the latch click into place. It should also be impossible for you to move the seats.
Adjusting The Front Seat In A Camry
Sometimes, you will want a little more space to store bulky items. While you might not be able to fold the front seat down, you can adjust it into a better position. How you do this will depend on whether you have a manual or an automatic seat. If you have a manual:
- Find the adjustment lever. This will be on the side of the chair.
- Pull it up. This will allow you to adjust the angle of the chair to accommodate your luggage. When you are happy, release the lever and the seat should lock into place. Just be aware that there is a limit to how much the seat can be adjusted. You don’t want to push it too far and break it.
- Putting it back into position. When you are finished, you’ll need to pull the lever and return the seat to the starting position.
If you want to make this adjustment in a car that has an automatic seat, you will need to use the buttons beside the seat. The second button will allow you to adjust the angle of the seat.
If you want to customize the layout of the Camry even more, you can push the seat forward and back. In a powered seat, you can do this using the buttons. In a manual seat, you’ll need to lift the metal bar at the front of the seat.
Then, make the necessary adjustments. Release the bar to lock it into place.
Other Ways To Get More Storage From Your Camry
While folding the seats can be a good option, sometimes you will want even more storage. The good news is the Camry is a very powerful vehicle. Because of this, you will have plenty of horsepower to carry a heavy load.
One of the easiest solutions is to install roof racks on your Camry. These won’t be made by Toyota, but they should be easy enough to find if you are shopping online.
It’s recommended that you get them installed by a professional, so you don’t accidentally damage your car.
You will also be able to tow a trailer with a Camry. You first need to have the tow bar installed. You can do this at the dealership.
From there, you will be able to hook up a heavy load. Most older Camry models can tow a braked trailer that weighs 1,000 pounds. You can see the exact info on which Camrys can tow a trailer by clicking here.
It’s important to find a car that comes with a lot of storage. The good news is that the Camry makes this easy to do.
All you need to do is fold down the rest seats. This can be done in a matter of seconds, just pull the tabs and drag the seats forward.
Sadly, if you have the L model, this won’t be an option and you’ll need to find another way to transport bulky items.