*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey there, car enthusiast! Have you ever found yourself standing in a showroom, gazing at the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and pondering if it’s the right vehicle for you? Well, you’re not alone.
Many folks have been in the same boat, feeling overwhelmed by the vast ocean of information and opinions about this popular hybrid SUV. That’s where I come in, your friendly neighborhood car reviewer, to give you an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.
Buckle up and get ready for an exciting ride, as I unveil the hidden truth and reveal the pros and cons you simply can’t afford to miss! So, are you ready to dive into the world of the RAV4 Hybrid and discover if it’s the perfect match for you?
Let’s get this show on the road!
2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Pros and Cons
To help you weigh your options, here’s a comprehensive list of the pros and cons of the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid:
|1. Excellent fuel economy||1. No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto integration|
|2. Spacious interior and cargo area||2. Slightly less engaging driving experience|
|3. Advanced standard safety features||3. Limited trim options|
|4. Respectable towing capacity||4. Infotainment system can feel dated|
|5. Strong reliability and low maintenance costs||5. Higher starting price compared to non-hybrid RAV4|
|6. Comfortable ride quality||6. Some road noise at highway speeds|
|7. User-friendly infotainment system||7. No wireless charging available|
|8. Responsive handling and steering||8. Cargo area slightly smaller than non-hybrid RAV4|
|9. Smooth power delivery from hybrid system||9. Limited off-road capabilities|
|10. Available AWD for improved traction10. Only two trim levels to choose from|
|11. Standard dual-zone automatic climate control||11. Some competitors offer more horsepower|
|12. Regenerative braking helps recharge battery||12. Rear visibility can be limited|
|13. Top safety ratings from IIHS and NHTSA||13. No panoramic sunroof option|
|14. Variety of optional tech upgrades||14. SofTex seats not as comfortable as real leather|
|15. Stylish exterior design||15. Non-hybrid RAV4 models offer more engine choices|
By examining this list of pros and cons, you can get a better understanding of what the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid has to offer and whether it aligns with your priorities and preferences. Consider each point carefully as you make your final decision.
And keep reading for more in-depth information on this Rav4 model and year.
2017 Toyota Rav4 Aesthetics and Design
Exterior Styling and Design Features
The moment you lay your eyes on the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, you can’t help but feel a little flutter of excitement. The RAV4 Hybrid exudes a sense of adventure and fun, with its sleek lines, bold front grille, and aerodynamic design that whispers, “Let’s go places!”
As you walk around the vehicle, you’ll notice that Toyota has sprinkled a healthy dose of pizzazz into the mix:
- LED headlights and daytime running lights for that extra sparkle
- Color-keyed rear spoiler for a sporty touch
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- 17-inch alloy wheels, giving the RAV4 Hybrid an assertive stance
Interior Design and Comfort
As you slide into the driver’s seat, you’ll feel a sense of familiarity, like coming home after a long day. The RAV4 Hybrid’s interior is designed for comfort and convenience, without sacrificing styling.
Here are a few interior features that’ll make you want to stay awhile:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control, ensuring you and your passengers can agree on the perfect temperature
- SofTex-trimmed seats, which are not only environmentally friendly but also easy on the eyes
- Power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support, so you can find that sweet spot for long drives
- 60/40 split rear seats that fold flat, providing versatility for all your cargo needs
Quality of Materials and Finishes
As you run your fingers across the surfaces, you’ll notice that Toyota didn’t skimp on the quality of materials. The RAV4 Hybrid features soft-touch materials on the dashboard and door panels, giving the cabin a more premium feel.
The buttons and switches have a solid, tactile feel, making you confident that they’ll stand up to the test of time. The stitching on the seats and steering wheel is done with precision, adding a touch of class to the overall design.
2017 Toyota Rav4 Engine Performance and Fuel Efficiency
Hybrid Powertrain Specifications
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid boasts a 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder engine paired with an electric motor, delivering a combined 194 horsepower. You might be thinking, “Is that enough power for a hybrid SUV?”
Well, let me tell you, this baby packs a punch. The RAV4 Hybrid’s performance will pleasantly surprise you, leaving you grinning from ear to ear.
Acceleration and Handling Capabilities
When you press the accelerator, you’ll experience the RAV4 Hybrid’s smooth and responsive acceleration, thanks to its Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel Drive system. This system ensures that power is distributed effectively, providing excellent traction and handling on a variety of surfaces.
Let’s break down some of the key performance aspects:
- 0-60 mph: The RAV4 Hybrid reaches 0-60 mph in a respectable 8.1 seconds, making it one of the quicker hybrid SUVs in its class.
- Handling: With its balanced suspension and responsive steering, the RAV4 Hybrid offers a comfortable and controlled driving experience, even on those twisty back roads.
- Braking: Equipped with regenerative braking, the RAV4 Hybrid not only helps recharge the battery but also provides consistent and reliable stopping power.
Fuel Economy Compared to Non-Hybrid RAV4 Models
One of the main selling points of the RAV4 Hybrid is its fuel economy. So, how does it stack up against its non-hybrid siblings? Let’s take a look at the numbers:
|Model||City MPG||Highway MPG||Combined MPG|
As you can see, the RAV4 Hybrid offers a significant improvement in fuel economy, especially in city driving, where the electric motor does most of the heavy lifting.
2017 Toyota Rav4 Safety Features and Ratings
Overview of Standard Safety Features
When it comes to safety, Toyota takes no prisoners. These hybrids are packed with a plethora of standard safety features that’ll give you peace of mind on the road.
Here’s a quick rundown of what you can expect from the hybrid:
- Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P): This suite of advanced safety features includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- Star Safety System: The RAV4 Hybrid also comes with Toyota’s Star Safety System, which consists of Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Brake System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, and Smart Stop Technology.
- Eight airbags: In the event of a collision, the RAV4 Hybrid has you covered with eight standard airbags, including driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, front- and rear-seat side curtain airbags, and driver’s knee and front passenger seat-cushion airbags.
Advanced Safety Technologies Available
For those who crave even more safety features, Toyota offers a few optional goodies to further enhance your peace of mind with the hybrid:
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM): This system warns you when a vehicle is in your blind spot, helping you avoid potential collisions while changing lanes.
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA): RCTA assists you in backing out of tight parking spots by detecting vehicles approaching from either side and alerting you with an audible warning.
Crash Test Ratings and Safety Awards
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has received top marks in crash test ratings, instilling confidence in its ability to protect you and your loved ones. Here are some notable accolades:
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS): The RAV4 Hybrid was awarded the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ for 2017, the highest possible rating.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): The RAV4 Hybrid earned a 5-star overall rating, the highest score awarded by NHTSA.
Technology and Infotainment
Standard Infotainment System Features
As you settle into the driver’s seat, you’ll quickly realize that the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid is no slouch when it comes to technology and infotainment.
The standard Entune Audio Plus system offers a plethora of features to keep you entertained, informed, and connected:
- 6.1-inch touchscreen display: Intuitive and easy to use, the touchscreen serves as the central hub for all your infotainment needs.
- Bluetooth connectivity: Sync your phone to make hands-free calls, send texts, and stream music.
- Siri Eyes Free: For iPhone users, Siri Eyes Free allows voice control of your device without taking your eyes off the road.
- HD Radio: Enjoy crystal-clear sound quality and additional programming with HD Radio.
Available Upgrades and Premium Features
For the tech-savvy drivers who crave even more bells and whistles, Toyota offers a variety of optional upgrades to enhance your infotainment experience:
- Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation: This upgraded system includes a 7-inch touchscreen, integrated navigation, and access to the Entune App Suite, which provides a wide array of apps and services, such as iHeartRadio, Yelp, and real-time traffic and weather updates.
- JBL Premium Audio System: Audiophiles will appreciate the crisp, clear sound produced by the 11 JBL GreenEdge speakers, including a subwoofer and amplifier.
- Bird’s Eye View Camera: This advanced camera system offers a 360-degree view around your RAV4 Hybrid, making parking and maneuvering in tight spaces a breeze.
Smartphone Integration: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
While the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid offers a solid infotainment experience, it’s worth noting that it does not come with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. However, fear not!
Toyota has since included these popular smartphone integration systems in later RAV4 models, so if you’re willing to wait or consider a newer model, you’ll be able to enjoy seamless integration with your favorite smartphone apps.
Cargo and Storage Space
Cargo Capacity: How Much Can It Carry?
When it comes to cargo space, the RAV4 Hybrid doesn’t disappoint. Whether you’re hauling groceries, luggage, or adventure gear, you’ll find ample space to accommodate your needs. Here’s a quick look at the numbers:
|Cargo Area||RAV4 Hybrid Cargo Space (cu.ft.)|
|Behind Rear Seats||35.6|
|Rear Seats Folded||70.6|
As you can see, the RAV4 Hybrid offers a generous amount of cargo space, making it a practical choice for families and adventure seekers alike.
Clever Storage Solutions: Making the Most of the Space
Toyota knows that maximizing storage space is essential for an enjoyable driving experience. The 2017 RAV4 Hybrid features several clever storage solutions to help you keep your belongings organized and within easy reach:
- Center console storage: A large storage compartment under the armrest is perfect for stashing your valuables or items you need to access frequently.
- Door pockets: Each door features a pocket with integrated cupholders, providing extra storage for drinks, maps, or other small items.
- Sunglasses holder: A convenient holder near the rearview mirror allows you to store your sunglasses, ensuring they’re always within reach on those sunny days.
Towing Capacity: Can It Handle a Trailer?
While the RAV4 Hybrid is not a dedicated towing machine, it still offers a respectable towing capacity for a compact SUV. The 2017 RAV4 Hybrid is rated to tow up to 1,750 pounds, which is suitable for small trailers or recreational equipment.
Here’s a quick comparison with the non-hybrid RAV4:
|Model||Towing Capacity (lbs)|
Surprisingly, the RAV4 Hybrid has a slightly higher towing capacity than its gasoline counterpart, making it a practical choice for weekend getaways with light towing needs.
Price, Trim Levels, and Value for Money
Price Range and Trim Levels
The 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is available in two trim levels, each offering a different set of features and options. Here’s a breakdown of the starting prices and key features for each trim:
- RAV4 Hybrid XLE – Starting Price: $29,030
- Standard features: Entune Audio Plus, dual-zone automatic climate control, SofTex-trimmed seats, and Toyota Safety Sense P.
- RAV4 Hybrid Limited – Starting Price: $34,030
- Upgraded features: Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation, JBL Premium Audio System, Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, and leather-trimmed steering wheel.
Of course, these prices were when the vehicle was brand new so you will be able to find some good deals on these models since they are 6+ years old now. When purchasing a used crossover for your family it is always recommended to haggle a bit as you should be able to save a good amount of money… especially if the dealership has a lot of other used cars on their lot.
Comparing the RAV4 Hybrid to Competitors
When considering the RAV4 Hybrid, it’s essential to weigh it against its competitors to determine if it’s the best value for your money. Here’s a comparison with two popular hybrid SUVs in the same segment:
|Model||Base Price||City MPG||Combined MPG|
|2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid||$29,030||34||32|
|2017 Honda CR-V Hybrid||$29,935||33||30|
|2017 Ford Escape Hybrid||$31,000||34||32|
While the RAV4 Hybrid is competitively priced and offers similar fuel efficiency to its rivals, it’s important to consider factors like reliability, driving experience, and personal preferences when making your decision.
Long-Term Value and Ownership Costs
In addition to the sticker price, it’s crucial to consider the long-term value and ownership costs of a vehicle. The 2017 RAV4 Hybrid boasts a strong reputation for reliability and low maintenance costs, making it an attractive choice for budget-conscious buyers.
Additionally, hybrid vehicles generally offer lower fuel costs and potential tax incentives, further enhancing their value proposition.
The Verdict: Should You Buy the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid?
After this thrilling roller coaster ride through the ins and outs of the 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, it’s time to answer the million-dollar question: Is it the right vehicle for you?
If you’re in the market for a reliable, fuel-efficient, and well-equipped compact SUV with a comfortable ride, ample cargo space, and advanced safety features, the RAV4 Hybrid is a strong contender. Its competitive pricing and long-term value make it a smart choice for buyers looking to save money on fuel and maintenance costs without sacrificing performance or comfort.
However, if Apple CarPlay or Android Auto integration is a must-have for you, or if you prioritize a more engaging driving experience over fuel efficiency, you might want to explore other options or consider a newer RAV4 model.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to your personal needs, preferences, and budget. But one thing is for sure: The 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has a lot to offer, and it’s worth taking a closer look before making your final choice.
I hope that this hybrid review has been helpful in deciding whether you should choose this car or one of the other many Rav4 or other compact SUVs that are available.